Mental illness: includes depression, bi-polar disorder, eating disorders, anxiety disorders and schizophrenia.
Some tips when interacting with someone who may have a mental health condition include:
- Listen carefully and follow the rider's instructions (even if they say they don't need assistance).
- Don't make assumptions based on past experiences, each person is an individual with varying needs.
- Actively listen, while observing confidentiality and privacy.
- If you feel the passenger is getting upset, ask if there's something you can do for them. Listen and respect their response.
- If there is an issue, remain as calm as possible.
Avoid doing these actions:
- Telling someone to ‘snap out of it’ or to ‘look on the bright side'.
- Assuming you understand how they might be feeling.
- Ignore a person.