1) PUT THE PERSON FIRST
Remember to put the person first and and the disability second. Example: don't say disabled person, instead say person with a disability!
2) Always remember WALL:
- WATCH: Be observant of a passenger and their abilities.
- ASK: Never hesitate to ask for a person's preferences and don't make assumptions.
- LISTEN: Pay attention to what a customer says and act on it. Feel free to repeat their instructions for clarity.
- LEARN: Store this information and experience to build on for next time!
3) When in doubt...JUST ask!
4) ALWays get out of your car to be available to help
Not every customer will need help - the key is to be available and ask.