When helping someone who may have a visual impairment, most importantly remember WALL (Watch, Ask, Listen, Learn). Here are some other tips:
- Greet the person, introduce yourself, and WATCH the customer.
- ASK if you can help guide them. Speak directly in a clear and normal voice. Do not touch without first asking permission.
- If your offer to assist is accepted, ask the best way to guide and LISTEN to the answer.
- Communicate as much of the surroundings as possible as you guide.
- Help the customer to the door of their destination if necessary.
REMEMBER THAT ALL SERVICE ANIMALS SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN YOUR VEHICLE. Ignore service animals as they work.
This is the most likely way a rider will ask you to help (but still only <50% of the time...so always ASK!):
Watch this video for tips on how to assist someone who has a visual impairment